Thursday, February 16, 2012

In my "spare" time

In order to not go more insane with school, pregnancy and everything else I have going on, I try to get some creative time in.

Food has been a very touchy subject with me this pregnancy, so any time I find something that I can handle, I have it often. One of my favorite things to make is a healthy egg scramble.

Step 1: Cut up any vegetables you want to add in, the more colorful the better :) I also add in some sort of protein, because it's good for you. In the picture, I had cut up Canadian Bacon to add in. The vegetables I had were mushrooms, green onions, and green, red, orange, and yellow peppers.

Step 2: Saute all of the ingredients in some oil. I don't use butter, and try to use the least bit of oil I can.

Step 3: Add in eggs and scramble everything together. I added 4 eggs and my husband and I shared the entire thing (with a little help from Dev too)

The next thing I created were inspired by what I found on Pinterest and it's from THIS post. I decided to make mine differently, and a bit cheaper too. I'd been trying to find baskets that I could afford, and I finally found these plastic tubs at Joann Fabrics for $1 each!

I took the plastic tubs and picked out some colorful, fun Scrapbooking paper that I had in my stash. I then measured the areas with the holes and cut the paper to those specifications. I used masking tape to tape the paper onto the tubs. I decided on masking tape, because it was a solid color and didn't look too bad. I think it took me about half an hour while watching some TV to finish these. We use them to throw stuff in that needs to go upstairs and then it's easy to clean up the main floor.

And last, Devlin has been going through a pasta phase, it's his favorite thing to eat. One night I was feeling pretty bad and was going to throw in a box of instant mac and cheese. I decided to try to make a better, healthier version and it didn't take too much longer than the instant does.

Step 1: While I was boiling my water, I cut up ham, mushrooms, and green onions and sauteed them with a bit of Parmesan cheese.

Step 2: I added my noodles to the boiling water and while they were cooking, I shredded my cheeses. I used Cheddar, Mozzarella, Parmesan, Feta, and Cottage Cheese. It sounds like lots of cheese, but I didn't use much of each.

Step 3: Once the noodles were cooked, I drained them. I then added in the cheese and let it melt in.

Step 4: I threw in the sauteed veggies and meat and mixed it all together.

Final Product: It was a success! Dev loved it and actually ate all of the veggies and meat, along with the noodles. Jaren and I loved it as well and enjoyed this version more than we like the boxed version.

So those are a few things I've done to have some fun lately. It's great to create things and have fun. I want to do more of course, but I have a very hectic and stressful life for the next 12 weeks. Now I'm just getting ready for tests and more school work, working on my thesis, and planning my recital song list. I can do this!

No comments: